What is Shiatsu?
Developed in Japan, Shiatsu Or Shiatsu Massage is a mode of bodywork that makes use of finger stress to particular factors on the physique, rocking actions, stretches and joint rotations to revive the wholesome movement of power (chi in Chinese language, ki in Japanese) to the physique. Shiatsu Or Shiatsu Massage is holistic, addressing the entire physique moderately than specializing in one space the place signs are most evident.
Shiatsu is identified comes from two Japanese phrases — shi (finger) and atsu (stress) — however a practitioner can also apply stress with different elements of the hand, elbows, and knees with the help of Shiatsu Massage.
You put on free clothes for shiatsu, which is normally carried out on a mat on the ground. No oil is used in this apartment therapy.
Shiatsu was formally named within the early 20th century, however, it has roots in Conventional Chinese language Medication (TCM). The idea behind shiatsu massage, like acupuncture, is that the physique has unseen power pathways, or meridians, alongside which the physique’s power flows.
While you’re wholesome, power flows freely alongside the meridians, supplying all elements of the physique with important power. However, during the shiatsu massage the physique has been weakened by poor food plan, caffeine, medication, alcohol and emotional stress, the ki now not flows easily. It could be poor in some areas and extreme in others.
The shiatsu practitioner is aware of these power pathways in addition to the factors (referred to as tsuobos in Japanese) which are positioned alongside the meridians. They’re primarily areas of excessive conductivity and may be affected by a variety of modalities: finger stress in shiatsu; needles in acupuncture; warmth in moxibustion.
Shiatsu massage Definition:
- Shiatsu massage is another method that entails guide stress utilized to particular factors on the physique in an try to alleviate stress and ache.
- In line with the Japanese therapy, Shiatsu massage makes use of thumbs, fingers, elbows, and knees to pay attention stress at sure power pathways within the physique referred to as meridians.
- The massage often known as acupressure works to scale back muscle stress and fatigue and is assumed to enhance blood circulation within the physique, in addition, to enhance the operation of the lymphatic system.
What’s Shiatsu massage therapy and how does it work?
- Shiatsu massage therapy depends on the use the fingers, thumbs and palm to use stress to varied areas of the physique’s floor to assist heal frequent illnesses and situations, and proper imbalances within the physique during shiatsu massage.
- Stress utilized to factors on the physique promotes power movement and corrects disharmonies all through the affected person’s physique. Along with being a deeply enjoyable expertise, Shiatsu helps relieve stress, deal with ache and sickness, and contributes to an affected person’s total well-being and wellbeing.
- Shiatsu massage regulates the automated nervous system exercise and stimulates the circulatory, lymphatic and hormonal programs. Poor posture, joint issues, sprains, arthritis, sciatica, acute and power neck and again ache, sinusitis, and bronchitis are treatable with Shiatsu.
Who receives massage therapy and for what?
- Greater than 39 million People obtained a therapeutic massage within the final yr, in accordance with an annual survey commissioned by the American massage therapy Affiliation.
- Greater than half — 53 % — who mentioned massage with their healthcare suppliers say their physician really useful they get massage therapy.
- Massage has been proven to scale back blood stress and coronary heart charge whereas rising endorphins, the physique’s pure painkillers. Shiatsu is among the many varieties, or modalities, of shiatsu massage therapy to select from.
How is Shiatsu similar to or different from other techniques?
- Shiatsu massage therapy makes use of methods just like these present in different therapy strategies akin to osteopathy, lymphatic drainage, and physiotherapy.
- Nonetheless, Shiatsu practitioners attribute bodily well-being situations and ailments to blockages and imbalances within the power movement all through the physique, which differentiates its prognosis and handling from different massage therapy modalities.
How often would I need to come?
- The entire course of may be a very particular person and is tailor-made to every particular person’s wants. Most individuals start coming at 2 or three-week intervals.
- They could then resolve to come back month-to-month, or as they should, which can solely be each 6-Eight weeks.
- In acute situations, akin to dangerous again, or extreme melancholy, folks will in all probability come weekly till they start to really feel higher.
Related Massage Technique: Thai Massage
What are the benefits and advantages of being treated with shiatsu? Are there any drawbacks?
Shiatsu has many advantages not usually seen with most types of Western medication. It’s non-invasive; no needles or devices are used, and the pores and skin aren’t punctured whereas remedy is being delivered. As well as, as a result of shiatsu doesn’t contain the usage of medication or prescribed drugs, there aren’t any side-effects.
Shiatsu Massage can be fairly cost-effective. Though an affected person should go to a practitioner to obtain the total advantages of shiatsu, some remedies may be self-performed.
Shiatsu has been proven to be fairly efficient in relieving quite a lot of situations akin to again, neck and shoulder ache, together with ache resulting from arthritis. Folks affected by insomnia, complications and menstrual cramps have additionally reported reduction by shiatsu.
Shiatsu Massage isn’t for everybody, nevertheless. There are some cases the place therapy must be prevented.
As an illustration, sufferers who have an open wound or infectious pores and skin illness; are liable to blood clots or have had surgical procedure just lately; have a fracture or sprain, or have just lately had chemotherapy or radiation handling, shouldn’t be handled with a shiatsu massage.
Sufferers ought to keep away from shiatsu particularly within the stomach space if they’re within the first three months of being pregnant; have a stomach hernia, or have eaten throughout the previous two hours.